Halloween is an awesome part of the year, when everybody gets to have fun pretending to be whomever or whatever they want, show off their creativity, and gather with friends for a spooky good time. This is not even to mention the treat of seeing little kids and pets dressed up… and the candy! Who can forget the candy?
While the celebration is going on, however, there are some things to remember in order to keep pets happy and healthy during all the hoopla.
1. Most important of any Halloween tip: Don’t feed Fido or Fluffy any candy! Chocolate especially is poisonous to animals, but any sugary treat can be dangerous and make your pet sick. It’s not just the candy itself you need to watch out for, either – the wrappers can cause choking and digestive problems. It’s important to make sure kids understand this too. It’s only natural they want to share their loot with their best friend!
2. Keep your pet away from seasonal produce such as pumpkin and corn -they may not kill your pet, but they can cause serious stomach upset as well.
3. it’s a good idea to keep your pet in a quiet, comfortable room away from the front door during trick or treating hours. Pets can become nervous or frightened by the noise and excitement, or all the strangers appearing at their door. They may try to escape or even bite in such confusing circumstances! Better to let them relax somewhere else in the house, or even crate them with their favorite blanket and toy.
4. If you use some of the imaginative and cool electric decorations out there, make sure the cords and plugs are secured away from your pet’s nosy mouths and paws.
5. If you decide to …Read more